Wednesday, February 18, 2009




I’ve weighed in on this cartoon.


It maybe the funniest and saddest thing I’ve ever seen in my life, other than the time I farted loudly at my own wedding.


In the America I’d like to live in, we’ve protected and defended the idea of free speech with blood in Antitem, and Khe Shan, and Bunker Hill, and Normandy, and Iwo Jima, and Nagasaki, and Gettysburg…


So in the spirit of our forefathers I agree with the idea that a democracy that will go to war for free speech should live by that sacred code of honor.


But I also know that newspaper people make decisions based on selling a lot of newspapers, and this will sell a lot of newspapers. So for the editors to hide behind the sacred credo of “freedom of expression” is a whole lotta bullshit!


Bottomline: this country is very screwed right now, and the last thing we need is to divided ourselves over trivia. The next race war in America won’t be the first, and won’t be the last. For us to laugh at Rodney King, and make jokes about a man who was dragged out of a car and assaulted by racist cops, and for us to mock is plea for all of us getting along…how soon we forget that it was less than forty years ago that Martin Luther King was hosed down in the street. Like when they crucified Jesus, we forgive them for they know not what they do….




So be gentle, America. The life you save may be your own.



“a kind word turneth away wrath.”
proverbs

6 comments:

  1. I have to admit... I laugh at all kinds of stuff -- politically correct or not. But I was horrified at this comic.

    Completely tasteless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry.. Posted before my brain was done.

    I wanted to add that after some careful consideration, I began to see it as less racist and more thought-provoking. More of a commentary on the stimulus package than a direct shot at your new president.

    Still... I think it's a fine line.

    ReplyDelete
  3. welcome old man --

    funny? i guess so. but i have a warped sense of humor and have been known to laugh at car crashes too.

    thanx for the oomment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. maybe you noticed, maybe not.
    Humorist Will Rogers has made it to 'prophet' class in my mind.

    "We have so little time to spend here. Get all the good laughs you can"

    I always try to emphasize "good"....

    As an official bizarrist myself, I personally found no humor in the cartoon.
    The concept was probably good, but, and as a comic, you can probably appreciate this more than some, the artist didn't do his work so well.

    I, too, have hundreds of jokes...some make me howl...
    but, i use some semblance of humanity to weed out the bad ones.

    Unfortunately, that would be a fair amount of them.

    OK OK I'll cop to it.
    Most times it isn't even funny.
    Oh, crinklemiers! Sometimes theyu don't even make any sense except in my twisted, troubled mind.

    (what? An example? No problem. A recurring dream.
    A teacher is giving me 'what for' for yelling at the girl in the desk behind me because she hit me over the head with a gallon jug of paste.
    In my dream, I look up and turn the air putrid blue at the teacher...cussing words I had no idea of what they meant then (fourth grade) and she just stands there fumbling with the buttons of her dress.
    I wake up because my laughter is so loud)

    So, now we know not only that I'm a bit twisted, but also, why. (the jug of paste part was real)

    d=))

    ReplyDelete
  5. how about a post script that is three months old?
    No sweat since the post is coming up on its anniversary, eh?

    Never hit or hurt an animal or a child.
    It ain't funny.
    Unless you're WC Fields or Homer Simpson, it just won't fly.

    ReplyDelete